• Announcements

• turbofandude

Proper Problem Reporting for the TFDi Design 717   07/09/2017

Folks, As the user count is increasing, it is becoming more of a task for us to stay on top of problem reports. We are also receiving an increasing amount of incomplete reports that we are unable to follow up on (which frustrates everyone, us included). On that note, we are going to be enforcing a stricter formal problem reporting system. There are a few main points that need to be addressed. ALL problem reports must be submitted via the Bugs and Suggestions system. Open discussion on the forums is fine, but our team simply cannot respond to every single comment (especially when the majority of doing so is asking for information the Bugs and Suggestions system already asks for). Incomplete reports will be ignored. This means reports like "my FPS is bad" will not be given weight. This isn't because we don't care. It is because a report like that does absolutely nothing for anyone - we can't fix it based on that. Please include EVERYTHING you can possibly think of regarding the problem and take as many steps as you can to isolate it. Prepar3D v4, despite what you have heard, can still be unstable. Yes, it is definitely possible to fly flights without issues. But it is still relatively new, as are most of the addons available for it. Please refrain from attacking us or other developers because of this. We have already had one scenario where a 717 CTD was resolved by an update to Prepar3D itself. This is likely not the only time that will be the case. You are still free to report the crashes, as it may help whoever the developers of the faulting code are solve the issue. Duplicate reports will be deleted/merged. For the sake of sanity for us trying to prioritize and evaluate issues, if we discover multiple reports of the same thing, we may merge/delete the duplicates. We strongly encourage you to search and see if your problem has been reported before. Thank you all in advance. This may seem overbearing, but this is the only way we are going to be able to stay on top and continue heading in the direction we, and the community, want.
kymh

P3Dv4 - Error Connecting to Database

On ‎06‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 3:12 PM, Skipy said:

I uninstall the 64bits English Microsoft Access Database engine 2010 that was installed by the addon manager. Then I downloaded from Microsoft site the same package but in French and it's OK now.

I suppose you have MSOffice 32bits installed with a language different from English? In this case follow my quoted remark and download the package corresponding to your language. Installe using a command line followed by /passive.

Skip.

Hi,

Thanks, I have since removed Office 2010 and the issue has gone; in fact, starting Excel gave an error as well.

I have Office 365 through work, so in that respect all is OK.

Fabio

Just checking to make sure this issue is still open/being worked (it is not solved for me).

Did update Addon Manager

Did uninstall 717 from all sim versions

Did install 717 to p3dv4 only

ODBC errors, texture errors, and addon version attached.

Thanks,
JasonS

error00.jpg

error00a.jpg

error01.jpg

error02.jpg

error03.jpg

error_version.jpg

8 minutes ago, turbofandude said:

If you run the Access file in the Program Files (x86)\TFDi Design Addon Manager\Redistributables file, does it solve this?

On my installation as I have a French MS Office installed, running the AccessDatabaseEngine_X64.exe /passive didn't solve the database problems. I had to download the French version of the AccessDatabaseEngine_X64 and install it with /passive parameter and then it solves the problem.

Skip.

4 hours ago, turbofandude said:

If you run the Access file in the Program Files (x86)\TFDi Design Addon Manager\Redistributables file, does it solve this?

Attempting to manually execute that Access 64 bit driver resulted in the error about conflict with Office.

But I also then tried the manual cmd (with /passive) recommendation and although I did not get any warning during the Access driver install, I did still get the ODBC driver error at runtime.  I can try that again.

JasonS

error04.jpg

Please do - this is starting to drive me insane. The /passive solution is sort of the "Accepted" solution for it, but I see this haunting is if we can't find a one-size-fits-all answer.

Remember that in my case, I had to use the /passive option  with a French language ODBC installer because my MS Office is in French. When I tried to use the English language installer delivered with the 717 I still had the error message even if the installation was OK.

Skip. 

21 hours ago, turbofandude said:

Please do - this is starting to drive me insane. The /passive solution is sort of the "Accepted" solution for it, but I see this haunting is if we can't find a one-size-fits-all answer.

Ok, good progress...  I was finally able to get the /passive option to work.  Not following Scientific Method (I made 3 changes at once :(  ).   First I uninstalled the 32-bit Access driver that was already installed on my machine, then I re-booted, then I installed the redis 64-bit access driver using the cmd /passive approach.  It worked.   I am going to assume that sequence mattered in my case with having the 32-bit driver already installed.

I could have also switched to 64-bit Office, but that would have probably broken some other office extensions (Skype for Business?).

I don't think you are going to automate a solution for this one... just document the workaround.

Jason

4 hours ago, JasonS said:

Ok, good progress...  I was finally able to get the /passive option to work.  Not following Scientific Method (I made 3 changes at once :(  ).   First I uninstalled the 32-bit Access driver that was already installed on my machine, then I re-booted, then I installed the redis 64-bit access driver using the cmd /passive approach.  It worked.   I am going to assume that sequence mattered in my case with having the 32-bit driver already installed.

I could have also switched to 64-bit Office, but that would have probably broken some other office extensions (Skype for Business?).

I don't think you are going to automate a solution for this one... just document the workaround.

Jason

We may end up needing a knowledgebase article for users that experience this (sometimes, it works off the bat).

Hi all,

I had the same issues (error message, where unable to load odbcji32.dll, etc...).

I have then installed "AccessDatabaseEngine_X64" (as my Offcie is 32bits version) and in French. It works perfectly well and was able to do a flight test around KMIA. But when I tried to do another flight the day after, I came back to the same issue, and even by doing the reinstallation again, it didn't work at all since then.

Thanks in advance for any idea or understanding...

Olivier

12 hours ago, crx0203 said:

Hi all,

I had the same issues (error message, where unable to load odbcji32.dll, etc...).

I have then installed "AccessDatabaseEngine_X64" (as my Offcie is 32bits version) and in French. It works perfectly well and was able to do a flight test around KMIA. But when I tried to do another flight the day after, I came back to the same issue, and even by doing the reinstallation again, it didn't work at all since then.

Thanks in advance for any idea or understanding...

Olivier

Olivier,

Did you uninstall the English AccessDatabaseEngine_X64 before installing the French one using the command line with /passive parameter?

To check if your Access Database engine is OK, just use the Windows ODBC tool "Sources de données (ODBC)". In the "Source de données utilisateur" tab you should be able to select MS Access Database entry and click on "Configurer" button without error message. If the engine is not installed or installed in English, you'll get the same odbcji32.dll error message than with the 717.

Skip.

Maybe found something.

I had Office 2010, with all issues related above. By doing the process described, office was not able to run anymore. I have then downloaded and installed office 2016. I have reinstalled 717, and everything worked properly. The strangest: it is 32 bits version (i don't know why by default it is 32). And it works. I have to add that I didn't have to go through "AccessDatabaseEngine_X64" process and reinstallation.

Does that mean that old office versions won't be compatible with 717?

@Skipt, thanks for your answer it helps me to identify missing files in Office (Access, but also excel, and so on). It seems that everything occurs after deleting mso.dll file.

Olivier

I was wondering something... Is it possible that the way I load the 717 into P3Dv4 impacts the way it runs? I have 2 options with my home made launcher:

- Use a default situation file (.fxml) to run P3D and automatically load the 717 at the right place so I just have to click on OK to start flying

- Put nothing as default situation file so P3D starts with its own default F35 at Eglin AFB. Then I load the situation file with the 717 at the right place.

For PMDG aircrafts the 2nd option is the only one possible, the 1st one causes P3D to crash without any error message! Perhaps on the TFDi 717 we have to do the same to avoid strange behaviours (ntdll.dll crash or panel displays bug). I will try a real flight tomorrow using the 2nd option and I'll see but your feedback guys would be great.

Skip.

Hi,

I just wanted to bump this. I am still getting the same errors, and I've tried installing the access database engine in every possible way (with /passive, deleting the x86 version first, then installing with /passive, different language versions, etc.).

I understand that the v4 version is still beta, I just wanted to make sure that it was still on your "to-do" list, since it hasn't been solved for all users.

On 6/19/2017 at 5:59 PM, Skipy said:

I was wondering something... Is it possible that the way I load the 717 into P3Dv4 impacts the way it runs? I have 2 options with my home made launcher:

- Use a default situation file (.fxml) to run P3D and automatically load the 717 at the right place so I just have to click on OK to start flying

- Put nothing as default situation file so P3D starts with its own default F35 at Eglin AFB. Then I load the situation file with the 717 at the right place.

For PMDG aircrafts the 2nd option is the only one possible, the 1st one causes P3D to crash without any error message! Perhaps on the TFDi 717 we have to do the same to avoid strange behaviours (ntdll.dll crash or panel displays bug). I will try a real flight tomorrow using the 2nd option and I'll see but your feedback guys would be great.

Skip.

It *shouldn't* make a difference, but that's not a guarantee it won't. Please let us know.

3 hours ago, rasmus3112 said:

Hi,

I just wanted to bump this. I am still getting the same errors, and I've tried installing the access database engine in every possible way (with /passive, deleting the x86 version first, then installing with /passive, different language versions, etc.).

I understand that the v4 version is still beta, I just wanted to make sure that it was still on your "to-do" list, since it hasn't been solved for all users.

Are you able to setup a TeamViewer session with us so we can look directly?

14 hours ago, turbofandude said:

Are you able to setup a TeamViewer session with us so we can look directly?

That might be possible one of these coming days. However, I am starting to doubt that it is on your end, and perhaps just a general problem with access database engine. When I start the ODBC manager and try and "configure" the MS Access Database I get the same error..

51 minutes ago, rasmus3112 said:

That might be possible one of these coming days. However, I am starting to doubt that it is on your end, and perhaps just a general problem with access database engine. When I start the ODBC manager and try and "configure" the MS Access Database I get the same error..

It's possible, but if it can happen to you, it can happen to others, so knowing is still good. It sounds like a clean reinstall of everything Access/ODBC related may be the next step.

Just wanted to give an update. It turns out that removing any 32-bit office applications (visio 2010) did the trick, but then again, we already knew that! What was causing the /passive solution to fail I don't know. Skip might have been right that it was a language mismatch between the 32-bit and 64-bit drivers. I am sorry that I will not be able to do a teamviewer session, but this computer is also used for work, and allowing a teamviewer session could potentially risk uncontrolled access to confidential files...

5 hours ago, rasmus3112 said:

Just wanted to give an update. It turns out that removing any 32-bit office applications (visio 2010) did the trick, but then again, we already knew that! What was causing the /passive solution to fail I don't know. Skip might have been right that it was a language mismatch between the 32-bit and 64-bit drivers. I am sorry that I will not be able to do a teamviewer session, but this computer is also used for work, and allowing a teamviewer session could potentially risk uncontrolled access to confidential files...

That's not an issue - I'm glad to hear it's resolved, either way!

The problem is that in Windows 10 64-bit Microsoft installs by default the Office of 32 bits because by structure it is understood with all the applications. If you want to install the 64-bit version, you must manually scan the executable version 64 bits in the CD (automatically not installed) but before the 32-bit office must have been completely deleted. As of this moment, problems of incompatibilities with different applications may begin to emerge and this is why Microsoft does not recommend installing a 64-bit Office if you are not sure that all applications are ready for it. I think the best and as you pointed out in the topics a few days ago is that you will prepare to work both the v3 version and the v4 with the Microsoft Access Database Base 32-bit engine.
Thank you for your help and for your solutions so that everything is updated automatically without problems.
Antoni

On 05/06/2017 at 9:18 PM, Deceiver said:

Okay, here's the fix dudes.. navigate to your x:\Program Files (x86)\TFDi Design\Addon Manager\Redistributables directory, run the installer for AccessDatabaseEngine_X64
Restart your sim, load the aircraft, and life should be good.

Thanks to Deevilius for the tip.

Do you know a work around for those that have Office 32 bit installed. Is this an issue for Team TFDi?

tfdiDB error.jpg

Edited by SteveS

Hello again,
I wanted to ask if they had a solution to the problem exposed in my post on July 3rd about being able to work with the Microsoft Access database 32 bits. (Office 2010 plus 32-bit)
Thanks for your reply
Antoni