• Announcements

• turbofandude

Proper Problem Reporting for the TFDi Design 717   07/09/2017

Folks, As the user count is increasing, it is becoming more of a task for us to stay on top of problem reports. We are also receiving an increasing amount of incomplete reports that we are unable to follow up on (which frustrates everyone, us included). On that note, we are going to be enforcing a stricter formal problem reporting system. There are a few main points that need to be addressed. ALL problem reports must be submitted via the Bugs and Suggestions system. Open discussion on the forums is fine, but our team simply cannot respond to every single comment (especially when the majority of doing so is asking for information the Bugs and Suggestions system already asks for). Incomplete reports will be ignored. This means reports like "my FPS is bad" will not be given weight. This isn't because we don't care. It is because a report like that does absolutely nothing for anyone - we can't fix it based on that. Please include EVERYTHING you can possibly think of regarding the problem and take as many steps as you can to isolate it. Prepar3D v4, despite what you have heard, can still be unstable. Yes, it is definitely possible to fly flights without issues. But it is still relatively new, as are most of the addons available for it. Please refrain from attacking us or other developers because of this. We have already had one scenario where a 717 CTD was resolved by an update to Prepar3D itself. This is likely not the only time that will be the case. You are still free to report the crashes, as it may help whoever the developers of the faulting code are solve the issue. Duplicate reports will be deleted/merged. For the sake of sanity for us trying to prioritize and evaluate issues, if we discover multiple reports of the same thing, we may merge/delete the duplicates. We strongly encourage you to search and see if your problem has been reported before. Thank you all in advance. This may seem overbearing, but this is the only way we are going to be able to stay on top and continue heading in the direction we, and the community, want.
ProfessorMadman

P3D V4 CTD - no errors

I'm finding on a few occasions the 717 will crash the sim without errors and without generating debug reports.  I've now had 4 such crashes with P3D v4 but have also successfully completed other flights without crashes.  I've checked the event viewer and no errors are recorded around the time of the CTD.  P3D hangs for a few seconds, then I get the spinning blue circle of death and the sim crashes to desktop.

As per another topic I suspected it was down to switching views but this time it crashed in the VC when just trying to pan to the CDU.  Attaching a screenshot of the exact place it happened but I don't think that's relevant.

I'm running the 717 with Hardware Rendering off.

CTD.png

Edited by ProfessorMadman
Added hardware rendering info

3 minutes ago, piperpilot said:

I have been flying the 717 in P3D V4 and had no problems at all so far this is turning out to be a beauty

Agreed!

Thanks for your reports guys.  Just out of interest are any of you using the pop-out displays a lot?

I'll keep on flying and see if I get more CTD but I'll rule out the 717 for now then.  It's just strange that the 717 is the only aircraft I'm getting these crashes with in v4.  I have flown the 744 extensively in v4 and did a 16 hour flight in the 77L.  Zero crashes so that lead me to the conclusion I had.

Just for reference, had another CTD in the 717 just now, no errors reported in the event viewer approaching KDEN on the TSHNR 2 arrival.  I was unfocused on the P3D window at the time and at cruise at FL350 (was posting on AVSIM) so I was not doing anything that could have triggered a CTD (like switching a view, panning, etc.).

2 minutes ago, ProfessorMadman said:

Just for reference, had another CTD in the 717 just now, no errors reported in the event viewer approaching KDEN on the TSHNR 2 arrival.  I was unfocused on the P3D window at the time and at cruise at FL350 (was posting on AVSIM) so I was not doing anything that could have triggered a CTD (like switching a view, panning, etc.).

Roger! Same happened to me yesterday at LSGG Geneva

Wait for TFDi, There are at FlightSimCon 2017

Cheers

Santiago

Santiago, yes I'm aware :) Joshua already informed me that they fixed the ATS speed issue I reported and the fix will be be available in the next build.  It is good to hear that I'm not the only one experiencing CTD with the 717 though. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ProfessorMadman said:

Santiago, yes I'm aware :) Joshua already informed me that they fixed the ATS speed issue I reported and the fix will be be available in the next build.  It is good to hear that I'm not the only one experiencing CTD with the 717 though. 

Yeah! Good to hear about ATS issue :D

Another journal entry to keep track of CTDs for me.  Just had another CTD without error at cruise, FL320 over Italy on route LICJ - LGIR.  Was idle in the sim at the time (not touching anything or doing anything).  The sim just froze, although sound kept playing.  After the visuals froze up I tried to switch to external and heard the external sounds but was still in the VC.  Then CTD without error.

I've now tried the flight that just crashed with hardware rendering on, still same outcome.

3 hours ago, ProfessorMadman said:

Another journal entry to keep track of CTDs for me.  Just had another CTD without error at cruise, FL320 over Italy on route LICJ - LGIR.  Was idle in the sim at the time (not touching anything or doing anything).  The sim just froze, although sound kept playing.  After the visuals froze up I tried to switch to external and heard the external sounds but was still in the VC.  Then CTD without error.

I've now tried the flight that just crashed with hardware rendering on, still same outcome.

I had the same CTD like you between UBBG and LRCK. after reaching cruise altitude I had CTD. tried the same route 3 times. 2nd and 3th flight was during climb CTD. By the way terrian and wxr radars doesnt woks even i have peak mode on.    ??

Same here CTD in v4 whilst in the cruise in the 717 flying down the east coast of America not even touching anything. P3D just died. Nothing in the windows event log.

• Like 1

On 13/06/2017 at 7:38 PM, turbofandude said:

P3Dv4 has been very unstable so far - we've been fighting a number of issues not present in other sims.

The only CTD's I've experienced were only if I right click on the "cockpit" option to change the view... With other add on when i do this I only have a full ahead view without panel but with the 717 it goes CTD....

9 minutes ago, Seb77 said:

The only CTD's I've experienced were only if I right click on the "cockpit" option to change the view... With other add on when i do this I only have a full ahead view without panel but with the 717 it goes CTD....

Does it crash every time?

I am using Chase Plane too, I've had 4 CTDs of the 5 attempts I've made to fly the plane. I think it happens after i cycle too many views but I don't have much more data than that. The most recent two crashes did not yield any logs in event viewer. The first few times I the application crash log pointed to Prepar3d.exe and KernelBase.dll. I've also experienced an application hang CTD. The other two CTDs did not have any errors.

I am getting CTD as well when I am pushing back and am in external view when I go to pan it just ctd without any warning other than not responding but no error msgs at all

On 6/14/2017 at 5:38 AM, turbofandude said:

P3Dv4 has been very unstable so far - we've been fighting a number of issues not present in other sims.

Not sure why it is unstable. I have been flying V4 since the day it was released and have not had a problem with it other than when I load the 717. All my other aircraft are performing fine and I am getting FPS around the 100 mark in external view and 50 - 75 in virtual cockpit.

I personally would say it is not unstable and is the best sim ever released.

Have flown 10 flights with actual version in P3Dv4 and haven't faced any issue...very stable. Using GSX without problems.

I'm running on a 6850K@4.4 16GB RAM GTX1070@2140 with tripple screens.

Edited by Mischa

For me it crashes when changing views pretty much 4 out of 5 flights. I use p3dv4 and chaseplane. I had no crashes to date using other 747 & 777. So far only happens with 717. Usually when changing view from inside to outside or other way around. I see loading circle of death and Prepared stopped working message.

Pretty much grounds 717 for me until this CTD goes away.

Seems to be a problem with Chaseplane itself. I do not own this program and never faced any problem as you described. Remove Chaseplane and try again. For me the 717 didn't run into any CTD. There some minor bugs to fix but there are no CTDs.