• Announcements

• turbofandude

Proper Problem Reporting for the TFDi Design 717   07/09/2017

Folks, As the user count is increasing, it is becoming more of a task for us to stay on top of problem reports. We are also receiving an increasing amount of incomplete reports that we are unable to follow up on (which frustrates everyone, us included). On that note, we are going to be enforcing a stricter formal problem reporting system. There are a few main points that need to be addressed. ALL problem reports must be submitted via the Bugs and Suggestions system. Open discussion on the forums is fine, but our team simply cannot respond to every single comment (especially when the majority of doing so is asking for information the Bugs and Suggestions system already asks for). Incomplete reports will be ignored. This means reports like "my FPS is bad" will not be given weight. This isn't because we don't care. It is because a report like that does absolutely nothing for anyone - we can't fix it based on that. Please include EVERYTHING you can possibly think of regarding the problem and take as many steps as you can to isolate it. Prepar3D v4, despite what you have heard, can still be unstable. Yes, it is definitely possible to fly flights without issues. But it is still relatively new, as are most of the addons available for it. Please refrain from attacking us or other developers because of this. We have already had one scenario where a 717 CTD was resolved by an update to Prepar3D itself. This is likely not the only time that will be the case. You are still free to report the crashes, as it may help whoever the developers of the faulting code are solve the issue. Duplicate reports will be deleted/merged. For the sake of sanity for us trying to prioritize and evaluate issues, if we discover multiple reports of the same thing, we may merge/delete the duplicates. We strongly encourage you to search and see if your problem has been reported before. Thank you all in advance. This may seem overbearing, but this is the only way we are going to be able to stay on top and continue heading in the direction we, and the community, want.
ProfessorMadman

P3D V4 CTD - no errors

odourboy   

Are you guys using HDR lighting enabled? Probably unrelated, but switching views with HDR ON has been crashing my GPU. Just a suggestion for a quick test since this issue is pesky. 

Dvotee   

@turbofandude I did another flight tonight all was perfect. Jersey to Gatwick. I used chaseplane, GSX and AS16  I used external views until push back and did not use it again for the entire flight. We landed at Gatwick and on taxi to gate I went external view to show my viewers the livery (I was streaming it) and then attempting to go back inside the cockpit I got a CTD.

If you want to see it happen happy to link you although of course a CTD doesn't show much and also as I'm new to simming lots of mistakes were made flying your gorgeous plane.

Next plan is to fly the same route with no GSX, no Chaseplane and no AS16. See what happens then add one, remove that add another, etc etc and see if I can pinpoint anything for you...but that will take time, of which I dont have a lot.

Laters

Dvo

Sanpp   
2 minutes ago, Dvotee said:

@turbofandude I did another flight tonight all was perfect. Jersey to Gatwick. I used chaseplane, GSX and AS16  I used external views until push back and did not use it again for the entire flight. We landed at Gatwick and on taxi to gate I went external view to show my viewers the livery (I was streaming it) and then attempting to go back inside the cockpit I got a CTD.

If you want to see it happen happy to link you although of course a CTD doesn't show much and also as I'm new to simming lots of mistakes were made flying your gorgeous plane.

Next plan is to fly the same route with no GSX, no Chaseplane and no AS16. See what happens then add one, remove that add another, etc etc and see if I can pinpoint anything for you...but that will take time, of which I dont have a lot.

Laters

Dvo

Do you have a Youtube channel? haha

I'm ok if you let me the Link!

I'll try tonight without GSX

Dvotee   
1 minute ago, Sanpp said:

Do you have a Youtube channel? haha

I'm ok if you let me the Link!

I'll try tonight without GSX

Hah yeah its tiny haven't done YT for years. Good luck with your flight

Sanpp   
2 minutes ago, Dvotee said:

Hah yeah its tiny haven't done YT for years. Good luck with your flight

I'll will subscribe! Let me your Channel link pls!

Dvotee   
1 minute ago, Sanpp said:

I'll will subscribe! Let me your Channel link pls!

Seriously....I dont really do it anymore haha...but thnx for the offer ;)

Sanpp   
7 minutes ago, Dvotee said:

Seriously....I dont really do it anymore haha...but thnx for the offer ;)

lol haha Don't worry:D

Hi, I'm also experiencing the annoying CTD without error.  I've been trying to make a flight from KDCA to KBOS for a week now with the 717, unsuccessfully.  Sometimes I crash before I push back from the gate, sometimes I make it to cruise altitude, and various points in between.  I just tried again just now and it died just after I went wheels up from DCA.  I've tried with stable channel ChasePlane, with experimental channel ChasePlane, and without ChasePlane.  With vPilot, without vPilot.  I've tried using a lot of view switching, and I've tried minimal view switching (with no outside views).  I've tried updating video and audio drivers, and I've applied the P3Dv4 Hotfix 1.

I completed a couple of successful flights in the 717 a couple of weeks ago, though it was crashing frequently back then too (P3D, not the 717 specifically), but I was at least getting an error back then.  Lately, P3D just exits with no warning or explanation.  Given the wide range of times that the crash happens, I can't pin it down to any specific action on my part.  I've been spending all my time trying to make the 717 work this week, but I'll probably try to make some long-ish flights in a couple of the A2A birds next week and see if P3D misbehaves with those as well.

If there's any information I can provide that would be useful, let me know.  I've been following this thread closely the last week, and I figured I should become a participant in case you all want/need another tester.

ROMAN06   

Good Morning,

Having the same random CTD with the 717. Happens when changing views. I won't fly it until a fix is  found/provided.

v/r

ROMAN78

gamesyns   
4 hours ago, Streichholz said:

same here after switching views.. I think it was just luck that I could finished the last flight... No fun at all at the moment. 

Please remove/disable ALL other add-ons and report back, we cannot pin point this to our aircraft yet without any further information. 

kymh   

As explained in a previous post in this topic I had a CTD every time I started the 717 since installing the update P3D v 4.0.23.21468 which I tracked down to a far distant scenery not the 717.

Toady I decided to spend the day in some other, mainly small planes and have had about 8 CTD's never experienced with the initial P3Dv4 release.

Are we all sure it's only with the 717 before we drive the team here nuts?

• Like 1

Allsop4   

New user here. I love this plane. But there are many CTD's for me as well. The last few days I've been trying everything. Today I decided to use my ProAtcX app for a few flights and I had no crashes at all. I barely touched the tablet and I did not use the MCDU at all. I flew 6 flights like this with no problems. I also had ChasePlane and Active Sky going. So I wonder, could the tablet or MCDU be the source of the problem? Just a thought.

Allsop4

Gents,

Many of the addons in P3Dv4 are not native addons. They are just converted addons (Mainly addons that hook into the sim code especially. those have any form of dynamics injection of scenery or wearther).

Hence, although they may work initially, a few or more conditions can cause the sim to crash. We need your cooperation by disabling all addons (including any weather addons), if you are able to constantly replicate a crash. After isolating it to the 717, please post it here, we would like to resolve it as well.

4 hours ago, Joshua Che. said:

Gents,

Many of the addons in P3Dv4 are not native addons. [..]

Sorry, but even the default aiports from P3D v4 aren't "native (recompiled with the v4 SDK)", so this is something PMDG came up with like "instability". While it makes sense in some cases, this isn't a specific problem at every "non-native" airport. 

Even if I disable everything, this crash happens for me. Not everywhere, not in a specific region / condition. Sometimes I can do a flight, sometimes it crashes after one minute. I can do a flight with everything enabled as often as with everything disabled. 

1 hour ago, Streichholz said:

Sorry, but even the default aiports from P3D v4 aren't "native (recompiled with the v4 SDK)", so this is something PMDG came up with like "instability". While it makes sense in some cases, this isn't a specific problem at every "non-native" airport. 

Even if I disable everything, this crash happens for me. Not everywhere, not in a specific region / condition. Sometimes I can do a flight, sometimes it crashes after one minute. I can do a flight with everything enabled as often as with everything disabled. 

When talking about scenery add-ons, I dont mean the scenery it self. I mean the add-on programs controlling the scenery add-ons (eg, software that dynamically adjust the scenery for whatever reasons and control its textures, seasons, appearance/disappearance).

Disabling add-on scenery in the scenery library does nothing at all when the add-on programs running the scenery is still enabled.

Lastly, my last statement still stands:

Hence, although they may work initially, a few or more conditions can cause the sim to crash. We need your cooperation by disabling all addons (including any weather addons), if you are able to constantly replicate a crash. After isolating it to the 717, please post it here, we would like to resolve it as well.

P3Dv4 is essentially still software - they are not bug free, crashes can happen in the sim itself.

ROMAN06   

Well after disabling all other addons., the error still remains when changing views...unflyable for me for the time being. This is the only P3DV4 compatible aircraft that has this issue on my system. I'll look forward to hearing off any future fixes. Tak care!!

V/R

ROMAN78

4 hours ago, ROMAN06 said:

Well after disabling all other addons., the error still remains when changing views...unflyable for me for the time being. This is the only P3DV4 compatible aircraft that has this issue on my system. I'll look forward to hearing off any future fixes. Tak care!!

V/R

ROMAN78

Were you using chase plane?

Skipy   

Hello,

For my concern, I usually get crashes with P3Dv4 and the 717 when switching views. The last 2 tests I made:

Startup and takeoff from FlyTampa Amsterdam with FTX Global, Europe OpenLC, ASP4 stormy weather, RAAS Pro and FSUIPC. I made a 36C SID  to the South and went back to AMS for autoland ILS36R. No problem at all except poor fps especially under heavy rain and storms. I switched sveral times from VC to external view without problem except....  when I was almost arriving at the gate! ntdll.dll crash as ususal. I'm pretty sure if I just stay in the VC view all the time I won't have any crash.

A second test tonight always at AMS by night with lightning active and the crash occured after only 2 or 3 switches to external view. This time I got a TFDi error message with a dump (attached).

Hope it will help. For sure I have many addons but I didn't have any crash during my last flights with PMDG 777 and 747, switching many times the views to take snapshots.

Skip. 

TFDi717_MDump_7_6_2017_23_54_32.zip

So, after my initial post in this thread, I found that P3D was crashing for me in other aircraft, and rarely was the same library the faulting module when P3D was gracious enough to provide one.  I could not even complete a circuit with a GA aircraft.

I don't remember where I saw it, but someone said his P3D stabilized when he disabled XMP profiling in his BIOS.  I gave that a try, and found that I was able to fly circuits again, and even make short hops.  Encouraged, I loaded up the 717 again, and found it completely inoperative.  The displays were dead, and I could not interact with the aircraft at all.  So, I uninstalled the 717, and reinstalled it fresh, which seemed to restore it to working order.

I was able to do a short flight from KIND to KCLE (~230 NM), but P3D froze and hung after my landing, before I'd finished my landing rollout.  It wasn't a silent crash, the Event Viewer listed it as an application hang, and didn't show a faulting module/package.  During the flight I used ChasePlane, AS16, and TrackIR, changing views several times without incident.

I'm frustrated that it still crashed at the end, but this is more flying than I've been able to do for at least a couple of weeks, so I'm glad about that.  I will try to continue testing with both the 717 and other aircraft to see if I can find out anything useful.

kenthom   

I have flown two flights and had CTD each time.  I have flown the PMDG 777 with no issues.  I guess 717 goes back to hangar.  I had just begun flying it after I read that removing the xml files would eliminate the black gauges.