As some of you are aware, there have been some intermittent issues with smartCARS recently (namely interface lagging or crashing). This was due to to a recent change in our infrastructure. We'd like to explain the full situation behind this.
After experimenting with a few different technologies, we found one we liked and implemented all of the features the map previously had. We then rolled it out to smartCARS and began testing/reviewing it. It then became apparent that the browser that loads the map in smartCARS (the embedded C# WebBrowser control), is not reacting well to the new map system. It was causing interface lagging and for some users, intermittent crashing. We tested a solution over the weekend but it didn't resolve the issue. To avoid further interrupting service for our users, we have temporarily moved the smartCARS map to a web-accessible URL and out of the client directly. We will continue working to restore the full map functionality and we apologize for the inconvenience.