Arrival Approach and Runway: 28

Full Route: DCU V541 GAD RMG RPTOR3

Current Leg: N/A

Cost Index: 40

Cruise Flight Level: 250

Zero Fuel Weight: 91231

Gross Weight: 96514

Minidump: https://forums.tfdidesign.com/uploads/

In the 717, the standard takeoff procedure is to advance throttles to about halfway and then push the AUTO FLIGHT button, which selects ATS and advances the throttles to the takeoff EPR setting. ATS handles the throttles from then on.

On my few flights I've done, it seems as if once AUTO FLIGHT is selected on the takeoff roll, the throttles stay where they were at when the button was pushed as opposed to advancing to the correct takeoff EPR setting. This has made for some not so fun climb-outs (but the tops of trees are very pretty!)

Video: https://youtu.be/p3R6AWEX7JE (I advanced my throttles to about 1.27 EPR and pushed AUTO FLIGHT, at which point my throttles should have advanced to my FLEX EPR of 1.39, which never happened.)

Sign in to follow this  

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

I do not know if this is how the real plane works or not, but in the TFDI plane, if you advance the throttles halfway, confirm all is well, hit AUTO FLIGHT, then advance the throttles all the way, it'll hold at your set T/O EPR and then continue to operate as expected.

Share this comment

9 hours ago, Driver8 said:

I do not know if this is how the real plane works or not, but in the TFDI plane, if you advance the throttles halfway, confirm all is well, hit AUTO FLIGHT, then advance the throttles all the way, it'll hold at your set T/O EPR and then continue to operate as expected.

That's exactly what I did.

Share this comment

I just recreated your scenario exactly - the throttle percent you had it at was not high enough to engage takeoff ATS. If you push your throttles further, it should engage and pull the throttles through to takeoff EPR.

Share this comment

Alright, it worked pretty well in my last two flights, but I used the same technique as I did when the issue popped up, so I'm not totally sure what happened then. You can move this topic since it seems to be fine for the time being. I'll reopen if I can find a way to reproduce it.

Share this comment

Well, I just had the same thing happen to me leaving KATL...  First time I've run across this one!  I was pretty certain it had something to do with how far the throttles were advanced, but i'd thought i'd pushed them too far (though I must admit, contrary to proper piloting, I had NOT actually checked the thrust level before I hit the auto flight button - but i'd been through not one but TWO "false" Crash Dumper crash reports and one sim freeze before I even managed to REACH the runway, so I admit I was a LITTLE less focused than I should have been :) ). 

Being one to save VERY often with this aircraft (and i'm also forcing persistence saves at the same time so the plane will be in sync - and it actually works really really well), I reloaded the flight back to my taxi down the runway, made sure my N1 was around 50%, and this time the throttles advanced to the correct takeoff EPR, as they usually had for me.

I have a feeling this aircraft is VERY sensitive to hardware throttle positions before things happen with the A/T system.....

Share this comment