• Displays go black

dkalagian

717 Version: 1.0.8.2

System Category: Displays

Minidump: https://forums.tfdidesign.com/uploads/

I have flown 2 flights since updating to the latest version. Both flights shortly after decent all displays went black. They would work only If I pop them out.

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

I had a similar issue, during cruise. Popouts still worked. P3Dv4 1.0.8.2 win10 15063 nvidia 382.33 Hardware render on. 

displays.jpg

Share this comment

Please try disabling hardware rendering it his persists. We believe it is due to significantly increased GPU load in P3Dv4 versus previous sims. We're investigating it more and plan to present our findings to Lockheed Martin.

Share this comment

There is something horrendously wrong with the video memory, I believe. What is your VAS like? Also, what are your settings set to?

Share this comment

VAS is quite good actually. It's actually gotten better since the latest Nvidia drivers. I'll attach the settings. This only started since the latest update to the 717.

image1(1).JPG

image1.JPG

image2(1).JPG

image2.JPG

Share this comment

Happened again tonight V4 1.0.9 Hardware rendering off. Luckily the pop outs continue to function, made it down safe.

Untitled.thumb.jpg.a692e1690e91a89acecba54d2a80fbe2.jpg5946395005730_tfdiblackdisplayshardwaresituatino.thumb.JPG.712e8fc76d35bcd23bb4bfc5e82cdcbe.JPG

Really interesting it seems to grab the ground texture below it. Most of the flight I was sitting at 60% gpu, with decent cloud coverage enroute. Not sure if proximity to clouds increased gpu usage to that level or something ran a muck. I don't know the exact timing in the gpu graph as to when the displays cut out sadly. 

Edited by jackscrj@gmail.com

Share this comment

I'm experiencing this too, but getting satellite imagery instead of black screens... This has happened on 100% of my last few flights. P3D 3.4, W10, latest nvidia drivers.

Prepar3D_2017-06-18_01-43-00.thumb.jpg.33b74beda0b47e7e488049ca104f88ca.jpg

Share this comment

I will be submitting this to Lockheed Martin to see if they can help us figure out what's happening. Do any of you happen to have any sort of GPU memory usage monitor? Does the GPU memory usage happen to be VERY high when this happens?

Share this comment

Just for the record, this did happen until the most recent update and I'm still on P3Dv3.4. Before the 1.0.9.0 update the displays worked fine for me.

Share this comment

This has proven to be consistent occurrence for me, tonight about 1hr in. I do not believe it occurs with high gpu memory I have been running gpuz while simming will test again tomorrow and attempt to get more scientific results 

Share this comment

Testing today i concluded vram does not appear suspicious when the issue occured for me at least. 

Later as requested by turbofandude, i ran a test without any addons (actually just renamed all my app data and program data), matched my settings and did a 2 hour flight without the screens blacking out. I will test more tomorrow and try to zero in on the culprit. 

Edited by jackscrj@gmail.com

Share this comment

19 hours ago, jackscrj said:

Testing today i concluded vram does not appear suspicious when the issue occured for me at least. 

Later as requested by turbofandude, i ran a test without any addons (actually just renamed all my app data and program data), matched my settings and did a 2 hour flight without the screens blacking out. I will test more tomorrow and try to zero in on the culprit. 

Interesting - if you're able to isolate the conflict, please do let me know. Thank you for your help in debugging!

Share this comment

I think it is related to the addon.xml system, either the number of addonxmls or maybe a specific one. Continuing to test. Maybe it is interacting with the texture path error. 

• Like 1

Share this comment

2 hours ago, jackscrj said:

I think it is related to the addon.xml system, either the number of addonxmls or maybe a specific one. Continuing to test. Maybe it is interacting with the texture path error. 

You know something, the timing DOES seem right for this... We changed to the new effects location right around the time this started appearing. We'll bump the fix for that up to priority one and see if it makes a difference. Please do keep searching. @HughesMDflyer4 Tagging you so you see this too.

Share this comment

20 flights have lead me to believe the answer lies in the addon.xml system. It doesn't appear to be a specific addon I have, but rather the quantity. I would need to probe a bit deeper, perhaps looking at which are using <effects> sections.

It seems that perhaps there maybe some bugs in Prepar3d related to addon.xml. Because also when using a larger quantity of scenery addon.xmls, the scenery library will ctd when regenerating the scenery cache. 

It hardly makes sense but, when I kept adding more addon.xmls it finally started going black, so I found where one more made the screens go black, removed all the others leaving the "bad one" resulted in no black screens. 

(I'd probably need a lot more testing to be sure of anything but these are my observations)

Edited by jackscrj

Share this comment

If you do find it's related to the Addon.xml remember this now effects v3 users thanks to FSDT making changes to there installer. I still wish they would have left v3 alone and not forced users to the new format.

Share this comment

3 hours ago, jackscrj said:

20 flights have lead me to believe the answer lies in the addon.xml system. It doesn't appear to be a specific addon I have, but rather the quantity. I would need to probe a bit deeper, perhaps looking at which are using <effects> sections.

It seems that perhaps there maybe some bugs in Prepar3d related to addon.xml. Because also when using a larger quantity of scenery addon.xmls, the scenery library will ctd when regenerating the scenery cache. 

It hardly makes sense but, when I kept adding more addon.xmls it finally started going black, so I found where one more made the screens go black, removed all the others leaving the "bad one" resulted in no black screens. 

(I'd probably need a lot more testing to be sure of anything but these are my observations)

Well, that at least sounds like a start. We've actually got those effects changed over to use the system that they used to use (before all of these issues started), so we'll see what happens. We should have an update out soon and we'll keep our fingers crossed.

Share this comment