GPS OR RNAV APPROACHES
1. Appropriate checklists completed. Flap/slat handle set to 0/EXT,
speed – Vmin + 5 or greater, both flight directors on, autopilot on or
off, and autothrottles on.
2. Commence speed reduction as desired. PF calls, “FLAPS 18,
SELECT SPEED XXX.” PNF acknowledges and performs required
3. Following FMS NAV capture, PF calls “PRESELECT MISSED
APPROACH HEADING.” PNF acknowledges and performs required
When established inbound prior to the final approach fix, PF calls
“GEAR DOWN.” PNF acknowledges and performs required
action(s). PF then calls, “FLAPS 40, SELECT SPEED XXX,
BEFORE LANDING CHECKLIST.” PNF acknowledges and
performs required action(s). After level off and prior to the FAF, PNF
preselects MDA in the FCP altitude window at PF’s command. For
PROF descents, engage PROF prior to the FAF.
NOTE: For single engine approach, do not select a flap setting
beyond 25°. PNF centers rudder trim at PF’s command prior
4. Depart the FAF at Vapp and initiate descent.
NOTE: Descents to MDA may be accomplished with vertical
speed (V/S), flight path angle (FPA) or profile (PROF).
A. For V/S descents, start timing if required, and rotate pitch wheel
to select appropriate descent rate.
B. For FPA descents, start timing if required, and rotate the pitch
wheel to the appropriate flight path angle.
GPS OR RNAV APPROACHES (Continued)
C. For PROF descents, start timing if required, and monitor vertical
NOTE: PF may command missed approach airspeed to be
preselected at any time after final approach speed is
5. The CAWS will provide the appropriate altitude calls. The PNF will
monitor the following altitudes to ensure proper callouts.
• At 1,000 ft AGL.
• When stabilized on final and at 500 ft AGL, the PNF calls
“SPEED XXX, SINK XXX.”
• APPROACHING MINIMUMS and MINIMUMS calls.
6. At the MAP, PNF makes appropriate call. PF either continues, or
executes a landing or go-around.
That may help.