DeeJay

CTD when going back to cockpit

Question

Dear TFDI team,

while I'm a big fan of your 717 in general, I have one very annoying problem that remains: When I change the view to the outside and then back to the cockpit, I often get a CTD - the screen freezes for a few seconds, then the sim just disappears, sometimes with an error message, but in most cases without anything! I've got P3D v4.0 installed.

When P3D4 was new, I thought it might be something else, because it also happened in other aircraft. But meanwhile, all the other complex airliners (PMDG and Aerosoft CRJ) run very stable, but only in the 717 I frequently get this problem. It doesn't always happen, but, let's say if you change the view 10x a flight, you've got a very high chance that it happens once and your flight is over.

As the TFDI 717 updates itself when opening the TFDI manager, the version shouldn't be an issue. I should always have the newest version of your 717. I've tested this in various scenery environments: It also happens in areas without any addon sceneries and thus seems to be independent from the complexity of the sourrounding area. Always had the newest NVidia driver installed.

My system: i5 3570k @ 4,3 GHZ, Geforce GTX 970, 8 GB RAM, 3x SSD 512GB, Win 10 with the newest updates, Prepar3D v4.0.28.21686

Have you got an idea, what could be wrong here?

Thanks in advance.

Regards, Dominik

Edited by DeeJay

23 answers to this question

Thanks for the support! We are aware of the issue and trying to get a full crash analysis to send over to Lockheed Martin. There is something within the main sim's code that is causing this crash because it happens even when all of our code is disabled.

We're still looking into options for this, but we believe it to be a crash with the PDK happening, so we are coordinating with LM to solve it.

Hi, I also get the same problem as DeeJay. I don't get any error messages when it occurs, P3D just freezes and crashes.

717 v1.0.9.14 installed. My specs are: i7-3770, 16Gb RAM, GeForceGTX 1080, 2Tb HDD, Windows 10 64-bit. I was experiencing this with P3D v4.0 and thought it best to wait and see if 4.1 fixed the issue. 4.1 is now installed and the issue persists. Like DeeJay, I am also a big fan of this product and hope the issue can be identified and fixed.

Same here - moved view in VC from outside view to centre console, clicked the electrical display button and sim locked up, repeating sound loop. Needed to hold down power button on PC to escape.

Any updates on this issue? I have all major addons on P3DV4.1, PMDG, FSLABS, MJC, NONE of them crash when switching views only the 717 does it for me? This has been a known issue for months now.

Edited by jrodriguezpr1

1 hour ago, jrodriguezpr1 said:

Any updates on this issue? I have all major addons on P3DV4.1, PMDG, FSLABS, MJC, NONE of them crash when switching views only the 717 does it for me? This has been a known issue for months now.

We've reached out to LM and to my understanding, they have resolved this within their code. I'm not sure when it'll be released, as I have not seen this issue patched in their 4.1 changelog. Hopefully soon. 

I have now completed 7 or 8 flights successfully by not changing to an external view. It is worth it as it is the only way I can avoid a CTD, but isnt easy not to peek, as it is a great external model. Really looking forward  to this being fixed up

Edited by CaptainNodrog

Yeah I'm really looking forward to this fix..cause just like you guys I can't help but peek (actually enable chaseplane cinematic mode).

Me too..have two P3D crash after changing view of 717 from external to go back in VC.

Please fix it.

P3D v4.3, 717 v1.1...crashes to desktop often.  Usually when changing view from outside to interior...so obviously, this problem still has not been fixed.  Crash does not generate a P3D log file nor does it generate an entry in windows event viewer.  Other than that, the plane works great (when disabling SLI to work with RealLight).  It's sad that this is a constant problem and that I just bought this plane.  No go from me till fixed :(

Hi,

Yesterday I tried twice and both times it happened when changing from external view to cockpit view. Hope it can be fixed.

Thanks,

I concur, I reported this back in February and my post was not answered, I left it in the hanger then until this major update. Such a shame its going back there as the exact same issue remains.

Me too! This happened to me today after I landed and taxi to my gate after I set the parking brake I went from external view and back into VC view which it never allowed me too....the screen went black and then it CTD showing that windows little turning loading circle. Nothing in log. This has happen twice now within a week. 

Yep it happens on v3.4 from time to time.Sim just freezes and shouts down automatically.

This happens only when changing views from exterior to interior.

@gamesyns

Posted (edited)

I have been having the same issue, but in FSX (Non-SE) instead of P3D. Stutters while loading the external textures, and when I can finally switch back to an interior view after, it freezes. However it doesn't completely CTD as the sim unfreezes after 30 seconds, only to freeze again after running for ~5 seconds. It goes on like this unless I exit out and start a new flight. What really confuses me is why this happens at apparently random instances; approximately 1 in 10 view switches result in this error, regardless of heavy weather, add-on ground textures etc etc.

Edit: As described by SteveDra in a different post wherein using the right-click menu to switch views supposedly solves the issue, it doesn't (for me at least). I only use the right click menu unless I switch to an EZDok custom view, for which I have a Hotkey)

Edited by SteamingSpoon

On 8/2/2018 at 11:45 AM, gdafc said:

Have tried this without flying, whilst it may work, it knocks 10 FPS from my display so not really a viable option.

What graphics card do you have and what is the resolution in p3d?

I can also confirm this is an in going issue since P3D 3.4 and if I dig further in old post it was mentioned that it started with a certain version of the 717 and has not improved since.

I just bought this aircraft and have also experienced several CTD's when changing views, while sitting on a default airport with no addons running.  Hopefully there is a solution because I would really like to take this 717 for its maiden flight.

57 minutes ago, shunter1621 said:

I just bought this aircraft and have also experienced several CTD's when changing views, while sitting on a default airport with no addons running.  Hopefully there is a solution because I would really like to take this 717 for its maiden flight.

Try opening up a new view using the bracket keys and leaving it in the VC. This should allow you to change views without a crash.

13 hours ago, gamesyns said:

Try opening up a new view using the bracket keys and leaving it in the VC. This should allow you to change views without a crash.

Not sure how this fixes anything? Is it still being looked into?

Thanks

13 hours ago, gamesyns said:

Have tried this without flying, whilst it may work, it knocks 10 FPS from my display so not really a viable option.