FS98P3D

Performance

17 hours ago, HighFlyer525 said:

Hi,

Just to provide a different perspective, I'm using the latest Beta version on P3D 4.1, sat on the runway at EGNX (UK2000 Scenery) with Orbx base, Vector, LC and England, Active Sky P3D and ASCA are set to generate a dynamic thunderstorm and it's belting it down, EZCA and Trackhat are also running, so is TrueGlass and I'm getting 30 - 32FPS with all sliders almost maxed.

It performs the same if not better than PMDG's 737 for me. 

I know that doesn't help everyone with issues, but it does provide a balanced view for the Devs...... If it's working for me, and there's nothing special about my setup, then there's a strong chance it might be something local.

Specs: I7-7700K OC to 4.9GHz / 16GB 3600Mhz memory / GTX 1080 Graphics Card (1695 MHz)  / SSD 960 Evo drive / Windows 10

What screen resolution you using? And are you seeing the same GPU/CPU usage to get the comparable PMDG 737 performance?

Edited by Boez

54 minutes ago, Boez said:

Screen resolution?

Hi Boez,

My resolution is 1920 x 1080 x 32.

Actually, in the interest of seeing if there are any glaring differences in our settings, I'll list them all. (I had Orbx Innsbruck recently, and two particular settings, SSAA instead of MSAA and Vegetation cast shadows absolutely killed it down to 5FPS, turned them off and it shot up to 30FPS again.)

Traffic Tab:

Airline traffic density: 50%

General aviation traffic density 50%

Airport vehicle density: Medium

Road vehicles: 16%

Ships and ferries: 16%

Leisure boats: 16%

Display Tab:

FXAA: On

AA: 8xMSAA

Texture Filtering: Anisotropic 16x

Texture Resolutions: Ultra - 4096x4096

Screen Resolution: 1920x1080x32

VSync: off

Wide-View Aspect Ratio: Ticked

Mipmap VC Panels: Ticked

World Tab:

Level Of Detail Radius: Max

Tessellation Factor: Ultra

Mesh Resolution: 1m

Texture Resolution: 7cm

Use high-resolution terrain textures: ticked

Scenery complexity: Extremely Dense

Autogen draw distance: Very high

Autogen vegetation density: Very dense

Autogen Building Density: Very Dense

Dynamic 3D Autogen Vegetation: Ticked

Enable Bathymetry: Not Ticked

Reflections: None Ticked

Special Effects Detail: High

Special Effects Distance: High

Lighting Tab:

Enable HDR Lighting: Ticked

Brightness: 1.10

Bloom: 1.00

Saturation: 0.80

Dynamic Reflections: Off

Dynamic Lighting: Ticked

Landing-lights illuminate ground: Ticked

Display lens flare: Ticked

Shadow quality: Ultra

Shadow draw distance: Ultra

Casting and receiving:

Internal Vehicle: Cast: Ticked / Receive: Ticked

External Vehicle: Cast: Ticked / Receive: Ticked

Simulation Objects: Cast: Ticked / Receive: Ticked

Vegetation: Cast: Not Ticked / Receive: Ticked

Buildings: Cast: Not Ticked / Receive: Ticked

Particles: Cast: Not Ticked

Clouds: Cast: Ticked

Terrain: Cast: Not Ticked

No shadow flagged content: Cast: Not Ticked

Weather tab:

Cloud draw distance: 90 mi

Cloud coverage density: Maximum

Detailed cloud: Ticked

Volumetric Fog: Ticked

Detailed Precipitation: Ticked

Windshield Effects: Ticked

Thermal visualization: None

Enable turbulence.....: Ticked

Rate at which weather.....: No Change

Can't check GPU usage right now as I'm mid-flight, but I did check for the TFDi at the time and it was 60% with everything ready to fly. I'll check the PMDG in about an hour and get back to you.

Edited by HighFlyer525

I have to say that this is unusable in P3DV4. I am lucky to get more than 2-3 fps. I don't have a great GPU it has to be said - but it works considerably better in FSX.!! Never thought I would be saying that. Hopefully when the final release is out it will be a lot better.

23 hours ago, HighFlyer525 said:

Just to provide a different perspective......

Thanks for the info, HighFlyer525.

For any of you with low FPS, are you all running Active Sky in the background? If you are, how are FPS with it disabled / not running? 

2 hours ago, Robert Morrison said:

I have to say that this is unusable in P3DV4. I am lucky to get more than 2-3 fps. I don't have a great GPU it has to be said - but it works considerably better in FSX.!! Never thought I would be saying that. Hopefully when the final release is out it will be a lot better.

Just a side thought, does hardware rendering improve your experience in V4?

14 hours ago, Boez said:

And are you seeing the same GPU/CPU usage to get the comparable PMDG 737 performance?

TFDi 717

GPU 60%

CPU: 54% (Core 0 is 100%)

PMDG 737:

GPU 45%

CPU 25% (Core 0 is 90%)

I do not have 'Allow Hardware Rendering' ticked for the TFDi.

Edited by HighFlyer525

7 hours ago, gamesyns said:

Just a side thought, does hardware rendering improve your experience in V4?

Joshua, for me enabling HW rendering killed the PFD fps. In P3D v4 it becomes a disadvantage...

In FSX HW rendering worked fine.

26 minutes ago, Shomron Koush said:

Joshua, for me enabling HW rendering killed the PFD fps. In P3D v4 it becomes a disadvantage...

In FSX HW rendering worked fine.

Okay, how is it when it is disabled in P3Dv4, is it still 4 FPS?

11 minutes ago, gamesyns said:

Okay, how is it when it is disabled in P3Dv4, is it still 4 FPS?

With it disabled the fps are fine. The issue is that in some situations I get massive stutters (fps fluctuating down to 1 digit and back up to the 30s).

I use active sky for P3D v4 and managed to get these stutters even in good weather conditions and in cruising altitude. On the other hand I manage to get good fps when setting the default building storms or rainy weather conditions within the sim sitting in a complex airport. I've also noticed the choppiness can start suddenly in the middle of the flight.

This is why its frustrating - I never know if a flight is going to be smooth or choppy (to a point I need to quit the flight).

btw my specs are -

i7 4790k @4.4 ghz

GTX 970 4GB

16 GB RAM

Win 7

Thanks,

Shom

Hi,

Ha, it's just done it to me! Just sitting on the tarmac, stand 1 at EGPH, initially at 30 FPS (See my other posts for my experience so far and what I run etc, it has been excellent.)  programming the FMC, When I suddenly noticed it was a bit laggy when I moved my head, and it's suddenly dropped to between 1 - 5 FPS.

Last night I did a two hour flight down the length of Norway (With Orbx Norway) and it was absolutely flawless!!!! First time I've experienced the lag everyone else is talking about.

It happened around the time I hit the STAR LSK for my destination airport, ENBR, but I don't think it was that which caused it.

Here's the difference I can see so far.

On a good flight with the 717, my GPU sits at 60% CPU usage and my i7-7700K sits at 54% average. (Core 0 takes a beating at 90% but the rest hover around 30%ish)

Once it starts to freeze and jam up, my i7-7700K CPU is 100% maxed on every core, literally screaming, but my GPU CPU usage has dropped right down to 25%. It's as if it's stopped using the GPU for something and smashed the CPU with it instead. OR, it could be because the frames are so low due to the 100% CPU usage, it just can't pass information to the GPU quick enough and the low usage is just a consequence of this.

Either way, it looks like something has triggered a process off within the 717 which is absolutely hammering every core of the CPU.

Hope this helps. 

Edited by HighFlyer525

45 minutes ago, HighFlyer525 said:

On a good flight with the 717, my GPU sits at 60% CPU usage and my i7-7700K sits at 54% average. (Core 0 takes a beating at 90% but the rest hover around 30%ish)

Once it starts to freeze and jam up, my i7-7700K CPU is 100% maxed on every core, literally screaming, but my GPU CPU usage has dropped right down to 25%. It's as if it's stopped using the GPU for something and smashed the CPU with it instead. OR, it could be because the frames are so low due to the 100% CPU usage, it just can't pass information to the GPU quick enough and the low usage is just a consequence of this.

Either way, it looks like something has triggered a process off within the 717 which is absolutely hammering every core of the CPU.

Hope this helps. 

Whenever I get stuttering it is also my CPU being the bottleneck

2 hours ago, HighFlyer525 said:

Hope this helps. 

This describes the exact phenomenon I'm experiencing as well.

12 hours ago, RogueShadow said:

Thanks for the info, HighFlyer525.

For any of you with low FPS, are you all running Active Sky in the background? If you are, how are FPS with it disabled / not running? 

I'll disable AS16 for a flight or two (won't have time before tomorrow tough) and will report back if it made any difference.

Hi,

Since it did it to me this morning, I did some testing whilst it was actually happening. Here's what I tried:

• Quitting all of my add-ons one by one. This had no effect. (This includes, Active Sky P3D, ASCA, EZCA, TrueGlass, My VA tracker, Navigraph Simlink, Joy2Key, Trackhat, Pro-ATC X)
  • Shutting the 717 down again manually to cold and dark, system by system. This had no affect. (I'd only got as far as running on the APU and setting the FMC up anyway.)
  • Changing a scenery setting to force a reload. No effect.
  • Turned off Dynamic lighting and HDR. No Effect.
  • Changed views. No effect.
  • Watched the P3D process with a process viewer. It was hardly doing anything in terms of accessing files etc.
  • Finally I saved the flight whilst it was slow, quit P3D and loaded the flight and it was fine. What ever it was, didn't save as part of the config. 

After this, I started a new flight, same add-ons, locations, weather etc, and I've let it sit there for 6 hours. I've repeated what I did this morning, I've basically just let it stew, poked it, tried to break it and annoy it, and it's been absolutely flawless again. F.Y.I. The entire time, Active sky has been running in the background. 

The worst kind of fault to find, one you can't replicate............

Edited by HighFlyer525

@HighFlyer525

Thanks for taking the time to post your settings. I run at 1440p so that may explain the comparable GPU usage despite my Titan X Pascal being (at least in terms of spec) a better card.

However as I run locked at 30fps the important factor to me is the comparison of GPU/CPU usage required to other complex models such as the PMDG 747 in other words do I need to use significantly more GPU/CPU to attain these 30fps when flying the 717. If so then it is clear that the 717 is either more complex (and needs the extra grunt) or less optimized ;) To be fair I realise that such a complex aircraft as the 717 goes hand in hand with demands on system performance it just seems to me that the 717 is significantly higher than comparable aircraft, e.g. PMDG, 700CRJ, Q400, etc. and hope if there is any scope to optimise then that will be done. A GPU usage jump of 10% in my standard test scenario in the version when TrueGlass was added (even once TrueGlass is disabled) is why I originally posted here as that could indicate a coding problem. Finally seeing GPU use always jump 20% from cold and dark to ready to fly was surprising but is consistent and eliminates AA, weather, scenario, etc. effects from skewing the test as the jump is present no matter what settings I tried. Again the PMDG 747 cold and dark to ready to fly is a 44% to 49% (ish) jump with same AA, resolution, weather, scenery, settings, etc. and that's not what you'd call a simple aircraft!

p.s. Dynamic Lighting is off on my system as that just kills most scenarios.

14 hours ago, HighFlyer525 said:

Finally I saved the flight whilst it was slow, quit P3D and loaded the flight and it was fine. What ever it was, didn't save as part of the config. 

HighFlyer,

Thanks for doing this for us; that is very interesting to see how there's something that we didn't save, which seems to have solved the issue for you. 

To everyone else - does this also work for you? (trying to see if this is possibly a global fix or an individual one) 

Cheers,

Hi Henry,

OK, so it happened to me again, in the climb phase, it started to slowly grind to a halt. Here's some other interesting things I noticed.

This time I changed plane, whilst it was stuck at 1FPS, to my Aerosoft DHC-6 (In mid air), and it instantly shot back up to 40FPS, meaning it defiantly looks like a process related to the 717 in particular rather than a general P3D one that's being fired.

Secondly, and most interestingly, I looked at my AS P3D and the exact time it froze, AS P3D and ASCA decided to reload and change the theme. I have it set to dynamic, so this happens frequently.

I'll see if I can make it happen again by manually changing the theme whilst in flight.

Cheers,

Mark. 

When freeze happened.PNG

Edited by HighFlyer525

Performed first flight without AS P3D and ASCA, EGPF > ENBR, 1 hour 30 mins, no issues. 

Even let the AFS perform a full auto land, just because.......

Weather set to P3D's 'Fair weather.' All other add-ons still used.

Try again in the morning with P3D stormy conditions this time. 

Hi,

Another three flights, four all together now, again with all add-ons except AS P3D and ASCA. No issues at all. It performs very well. 70 - 80 FPS at cruise altitude, 30-35FPS at Airports. I've tried each one with a different type of default weather to make sure it wasn't clouds, fog et cetera reacting with TrueGlass or something similar. It is starting to look like an incompatibility with AS and/or ASCA. Weather radar integration perhaps?

Flight 1:

EGPF - ENBR / 1 hour 30 mins / Fair weather / no issues

Flight 2:

ENBR - ENBO / 1 hour 35 mins / Thunderstorms / no issues (Apart from the normal wind shear nightmare that default P3D weather produces! ;) )

Flight 3:

ENBR - ESGG / 1 hour 14 mins / Heavy Snow / No issues

Flight 4:

ENBR - EGPF / 1 hour 30 mins / Fogged in / No Issues

Cheers,

Mark.

Edited by HighFlyer525

@HighFlyer525 I'm also beginning to think it might be the weather radar integration. Either that or another part of the aircraft I'm currently looking into. I do have a prediction re: the WXR integration though... will keep you guys posted. 

I can't add much to this as I've run out of space on my SSD to install the 717 but there is something I did notice. I used the 717 in FSX:SE up until it was released for P3D v4. I had great FPS in FSX but in P3D it was much worse. I don't know if its of much help, but somewhere around the release of P3D v4 is where something went wrong. I'm not sure but it may also be a difference between how FSX and P3D handle load on hardware. I'll see if I can make some room for the 717 and do some tests. I really miss flying this aircraft, just need to get me a new Samsung Evo.

If it helps any, I have an i3 7100 @3.9 ghz, a 1050ti, and DDR4 16gb of RAM. I run REX with medium textures, and AS for P3D V4. Most of my settings on P3D V4 are maxed out except water, traffic, and the HDR lighting which is unticked. I average 25-40FPS with the 717 compared to the solid and near constant 60fps with the NGX, 777, and Aerosoft CRJ. My only issue is frequent crashes upon view change. Most specifically during taxi for some reason.  

Edited by jhammer

With dynamic lighting on and landing lights/taxi light on there is a considerable drop in fps on my system compared to landing lights/taxi light off, from 30 to 15 fps (hardware rendering off for both cases).  Then changing from 2x ssaa to 4x msaa (fxaa always off) made a big difference to regain the fps. I have the impression that for some reason, AA settings make a bigger difference on this plane than on others (also tablet pics don't show for some AA settings via nvidia inspector).  For dynamic lighting off, there is no such fps drop with the landing lights. I use a GTX 970 at 1080 resolution.