NorCali.Pilot

Ground floods, taxi, and takeoff lights cut performance in half.

Question

If there is a topic regarding this already my apologies, I tried to look around and I haven't found anything regarding the lights specifically.

But pretty much, I get very high frames in the 717 at almost any airport, but as soon as I turn on the ground flood lights, FPS drop by 10, when I turn on the taxi and landing lights, FPS drops down to maybe 10 or 15FPS. When I turn them all off it goes back up to 35 or 40.

I have a GTX 1070 (not Ti) and a i7 47900K. I was recommended that in the graphics settings under AA, to change it from 8xSSAA to 8xMSAA (idk what those mean). I tried that and it fixed the issue, but it made everything look horrible, small lines on the PFD and crisp textures. Now I keep it on 8xSSA and only fly in the day and don't mess with the lights. 

All other planes, all external lights have no impact on performance so I think it is the 717, any ideas? Maybe it' a thing in NVidia inspector.

Thanks! 

4 answers to this question

Sounds like dynamic lighting is the issue. Unfortunately, LM didn't optimize this new tech to handle the different AA methods properly, so this is likely the cause of the performance issues for you.

In my experience there is a performance drop when switching on landing lights even when DL is disabled (albeit not as pronounced). My solution to this was to replace your fx files with landing lights from another aircraft and the problem disappeared, I.e I can now switch on LL without a performance hit. I also now get visible LL with no DL unlike with your fx files. This on a Titan X Pascal and 7700K.