Jeff Thomas

Is smartCARS dead?

There hasn't been any movement or new development in over a year.  The bugs and submissions list is huge.  Is this thing dead?

If so, can you maybe open source the non-network specific stuff so we can make it do more?  

@Jeff Thomas It's not dead, and I can assure you that we are working on the next iteration. As we are fully re-writing the code, the suggestions and bugs will be added/mitigated respectively and we will ensure that the next version will be much improved over SC2.

Hello,

It's great to learn that smartCARS is evolving.

Since I'm currently developing a website for a French VA (Aerogeek), I would like to know if the interface will evolve too because, currently, it is a bit of a wart inside the rest of my code.

The best way would be for you to define an API specification (for example a REST API specification). Then the website developers should implement this interface with their own framework (Laravel for phpVMS 7 and Symfony for me).

For example, you could say "I want the /api/smartcars/pireps URI to send/get PIREP data and the JSON format is ...".

Currently with phpVMS 7 and APVacars V2, it is the opposite because it is the phpVMS developers that define the API and the APVacars developer well... tries his best to exploit this interface but a lot of data sent with this API is useless for the ACARS software.

Have a happy new year ! :)

any timeline on this new development? It would be nice to have some idea as to when it may be released. Current ACARS map is not working and shows no aircraft at all. I get these errors in the log all the time smartCARS still works though. My phpvms acars map still works fine and shows all company aircraft.

Server Error.

at webreq(String uri)

at smartCARS.mainform.bkgwkrflightmap_DoWork(Object sender, DoWorkEventArgs e)
[07:53:56 AM] [ERROR] An exception occured during flight map position reporting. It was : System.Net.WebException: The remote server returned an error: (500) Internal Server Error.

at webreq(String uri)

On 1/2/2019 at 1:54 PM, nfinger said:

[07:53:56 AM] [ERROR] An exception occured during flight map position reporting. It was : System.Net.WebException: The remote server returned an error: (500) Internal Server Error.

This is an error with your web-server, not with smartCARS.