blakefb21

In reference to MEDLINK as mentioned in DEV stream

I just watched the Dev Stream on YouTube and wanted to fill you guys in on Medlink as the Captain is 100% involved. I'm a flight dispatcher for major U.S. carrier and am involved almost daily with Medlinks calls. When it comes to the attention of the flight attendant that there is a pax on board with a medical concern whether in the air or on the ground, (out of the gate) the flight attendant will gather info on the pax medical concern and inform the captain. At that point the captain will contact Airinc  over UHF which is company with operators in San Francisco and New York who will then patch the captain to an operator at Medlink as well as dispatch. The Airinc operator and dispatch will listen in on the call between the Captain and Medlink. Often Airinc and dispatch will have to assist with relaying info due to broken transmissions. The captain will speak to a Medlink operator giving them all the details of the passenger. Details cover age, gender, seat number, and symptoms/concerns. After doing so, the operator will then get a physician on the line who reads over the info given by the captain and will ask more questions (is pax awake, breathing, etc) and will then give their diagnosis. The diagnosis will consist of a remedy like sugary beverage for low blood sugar, or even use items from the emergency medical kit. Lastly the Dr. will determine whether to continue to destination or divert. Obviously if a diversion is required EMS will need to be at the gate upon arrival and dispatch will  coordinate the diversion as far as best airport to go to. If no diversion is required there may still be the need for EMS and maybe even priority handling from ATC. After all recommendations from the Medlink Dr. are given to the captain, (who relays all info to the  flight attendant) captain, medlink, airinc, and dispatch will clear the UHF line for other flights to use. This seems like a somewhat complicated process, but i think could easily be simplified for the purpose of PACX. I would love to see this implemented if able. I can supply PLENTY of scenarios that I've dealt with in real life to help.  Feel free to contact me on my email address in my account. 

Blake Roark

• Thanks 1

Blake,

Thank you for reaching out to us and providing us with the above information. I will tag @turbofandude and he will be able to discuss further :)

Cheers,

Josh

Blake,

First off, thank you for the information! The way it is now, we've got it that the flight attendant will inform you that it's happening and ask you what you'd like to do. You could, then, use the time after that to simulate the conversation with Medlink, etc. and answer the flight attendant once you've determined the right course of action.

Absolutely! Sounds great. Does the FA provide any details on the patient, some cases being more severe than others? Also, don’t know if you guys are looking for and beta testers, but if so I could definitely help. I jumpseat in the cockpit all the time and see first hand the announcements, when their made in correlation with the checklists etc. I also run just about any add on you can think of and would be able to help pinpoint if there are any specific adding that cause issues with PACX. 

Blake

4 hours ago, blakefb21 said:

Absolutely! Sounds great. Does the FA provide any details on the patient, some cases being more severe than others? Also, don’t know if you guys are looking for and beta testers, but if so I could definitely help. I jumpseat in the cockpit all the time and see first hand the announcements, when their made in correlation with the checklists etc. I also run just about any add on you can think of and would be able to help pinpoint if there are any specific adding that cause issues with PACX. 

Blake

Blake,

At this moment, exact details aren’t provided, but we could add that. That’d definitely add a bit of depth to the simulation. Odds are, we’d use the text portion of the interface to disclose the exact details.

The text portion would actually be realistic in a way! When there is a potential medical issue on board the FA fills out a form which she then slides under the cockpit door. Not sure what all the form has, but i do know it consists of age, gender, seat number, and symptoms. then capt calls medlink and reads off from the form. The reason i bring up the details or symptoms, is because that would obviously drive the decision to divert or not. 9.5/10 we don't divert. Pax can be having a stroke, seizure, or even pass away on the aircraft and we still don't divert. i could see maybe providing some in general details on whats happening to the pax and then simmer reference the portion of PACX that shows the gender and age. Seat number may be hard to generate unless PACX just generates some random seat number towards the front of the a/c and between letters A-D that all airplanes would have regardless of narrow/wide body and length of plane. Ex.a CRJ-200 has 13 rows with 2/2 config. so any seat number within 1-13 A-D should fit any aircraft.  But anyways... lol

• Like 1

8 hours ago, blakefb21 said:

The text portion would actually be realistic in a way! When there is a potential medical issue on board the FA fills out a form which she then slides under the cockpit door. Not sure what all the form has, but i do know it consists of age, gender, seat number, and symptoms. then capt calls medlink and reads off from the form. The reason i bring up the details or symptoms, is because that would obviously drive the decision to divert or not. 9.5/10 we don't divert. Pax can be having a stroke, seizure, or even pass away on the aircraft and we still don't divert. i could see maybe providing some in general details on whats happening to the pax and then simmer reference the portion of PACX that shows the gender and age. Seat number may be hard to generate unless PACX just generates some random seat number towards the front of the a/c and between letters A-D that all airplanes would have regardless of narrow/wide body and length of plane. Ex.a CRJ-200 has 13 rows with 2/2 config. so any seat number within 1-13 A-D should fit any aircraft.  But anyways... lol

I will see about adding this! The text-portion of the interface already has the ability to display content like this, so it shouldn't be too much of a stretch.