Dexadrinne

CTD via changing views.

Posted (edited)

Well i must say that there is a very GOOD reason to research before dropping coin on anything. And the 717 is such a case. I tried 5 times last night to get from KBOS to KORD only to be CTD'D to death via looking outside to VC.

This problem has been around for what i determined ages and has never been fixed. The workaround that has been provided is and i apologise but complete and total sash. I have tried this technique and i loose between 10-19 fps. I'm locked at 33fps so im in the low 20's. So whats the deal.

Is this issue ever going to be fixed? Or have a wasted $90 AUD on something that i can not use fully? I'm sorry for venting as the rest of the plane works well. Its just that for spending almost $100 on a product you really shouldn't have this issue that has been around for a couple of years. 

Edited by Dexadrinne
  • Like 1

It's a hard one. A method you can use is open a new VC window, in that window, look up at the sky and minimize it to the smallest size, then place it in a corner. You don't lose too many fps that way. Another "workaround" is to just fly the thing from the VC and only switch to the outside once you land and "disembark" the aircraft. I know it sucks but that's just the way it is. If this CTD bug was fixed the 717 would be hands down one of the finest P3D addons in existance. It has a lot going for it. 

• Like 2

On 6/23/2019 at 7:48 AM, Dexadrinne said:

Well i must say that there is a very GOOD reason to research before dropping coin on anything. And the 717 is such a case. I tried 5 times last night to get from KBOS to KORD only to be CTD'D to death via looking outside to VC.

This problem has been around for what i determined ages and has never been fixed. The workaround that has been provided is and i apologise but complete and total sash. I have tried this technique and i loose between 10-19 fps. I'm locked at 33fps so im in the low 20's. So whats the deal.

Is this issue ever going to be fixed? Or have a wasted $90 AUD on something that i can not use fully? I'm sorry for venting as the rest of the plane works well. Its just that for spending almost $100 on a product you really shouldn't have this issue that has been around for a couple of years. 

I agree with you. The 717 is my favorite plane but I can't fly it. I want a real solution, not the "open a second windows". I have a better solution,  fly on P3D V3. It's been a year and a half  that I have this problem and I can't fly with the MD95 on V4 with PBR. Sorry TFDI I love you work but if you really want to fix this bug that a lot of people have, I think that this bug would already fix for a long time.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I tried the interims "solution" at Sydney Airport. I get only 18-20 fps in clear skies, 12-15 with clouds, with the second window only 10-12 fps. unflyable!

The 717 is the only addon where I get this CTD-problem when I switch the views, ALL other working very well (Fslabs A320/319, PMDG 737/777/747, Maddog, Dash). 

Dear TFDi-Tem, before you send all your valued energy into PACX, please fix that important issue in the 717.

Edited by airlinetycoon
  • Like 1

I've had this aircraft for over a year now with the same crashing including with the newest update, but now I'm extremely baffled and highly excited.  I have a 8700k with a 11gb gtx 1080TI turbo.  My GPU used to heat up almost instantly while in the cockpit and it would sound like a jet engine.  I just completed my first flight EVER (2.5 hrs) with this aircraft without the use of the "second window".  I was switching views as fast as I could trying to see if a CTD would happen, but nope.  My old monitor used to be a no thrills https://www.amazon.com/Acer-G246HL-Abd-24-Inch-LED-Lit/dp/B0098Y77OG  and I just purchased a https://www.amazon.com/Curved-Monitor-FreeSync-Adaptive-XG32VQ/dp/B077K87CWL over the weekend and I have no idea why just a new monitor would allow me to fly without a CTD and my GPU not sounding like a jet engine now.  It's weird, but I'm very happy to pull this plane out of the hangar once again and into the air without any issues.

• Like 2

I'm revisiting this because it happened with my system a while ago but I couldn't reproduce it. For anyone who is able to reproduce this 100% every single time at a given scenario, please send me a private message; I'd like to schedule a remote debugging session with you - if it's actually something on our end, we will be able to see which line of code is breaking. 

If it's not something on our end, we can still see which module is causing it via the debugger. 

• Like 2

Recently I have been flying the 717 again after a long break, and I have to say, I have not had a single view change CTD yet. Because it's been a while since I used P3D, I can't say if it was just the 1.1.2.0 update or the latest Windows 10 updates or Nvidia driver or what - but I've probably changed views 500 times without a single crash. I wouldn't go around proclaiming it's 100% fixed just yet, but for me at least, it's significantly better based on my testing thus far.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

@RogueShadow For me it´s not ok, I got a CTD again. This time during approach on a testflight. It happens always 5-10 min after departure. My Specs: I use a intel 7700K @4.5 and a RTX2080 with a 55inch 4K monitor for P3d 4.5 and two smaller monitors beside for tools. All monitors are connected via HDMI. In the 717 settings I tried several setups, for the moment standard display solution and 2K textures. I´m not sure, but I have the feeling this issue is related to the cockpit shaders. 😪

Edited by airlinetycoon
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, airlinetycoon said:

@RogueShadow For me it´s not ok, I got a CTD again. This time during approach on a testflight. It happens always 5-10 min after departure. My Specs: I use a intel 7700K @4.5 and a RTX2080 with a 55inch 4K monitor for P3d 4.5 and two smaller monitors beside for tools. All monitors are connected via HDMI. In the 717 settings I tried several setups, for the moment standard display solution and 2K textures. I´m not sure, but I have the feeling this issue is related to the cockpit shaders. 😪

I'm actually suspecting this has something to do with the way P3D's PDK is handling the rendering of our 2D graphics using our technology; using PDK is the reason we were able to double your frame rates by switching a rendering technology. When you switch views back into your aircraft, it has to re-render your PFD, ND, etc. displays and something somewhere along that process causes P3D to say "yup nope I'm done!" 

This view switch CTD also started getting reports just as we introduced the new rendering technology, so that is even more of a lead into my investigations/directions on where to look. 

However - I say this to keep you guys updated on my findings. It is NOT anything official, and I am definitely not confirming this as the problem. I'm merely just making an educated guess based on my understanding of PDK, the rendering process of our proprietary technology that doubled your frame rates, and what I've heard from the community. 

• Like 1

Henry,

I'm really happy you’re looking into this deeper. I only switched to P3D six months ago but I extensively used the 717 without a single crash in FSX, in P3D I can’t even get to the takeoff stage, and it will CTD always during preflight, loading, programming FMC etc. 

i’d Be happy to test any preliminary patches, my sim only PC is pretty strong, 9700k, RTX2080, Win 10 with all updates and drivers being current, so I don’t think it’s my system. 

I really miss flying my beloved 717, but i’d be glad to help, so please let me know if we can all provide you with more detailed info.

Cheers,

Pete

Agree with the guy above. I would love to get to the bottom of it. So i will be happy to fight the view CTD as well.

Thanks guys, I will do some prepping and I may have a release build or two for you to try out. Fly those builds as you'd normally would and do your view switching to the outside/back in. 

I'm going to start the first one with the new rendering tech disabled, so you'll see your FPS cut by... a lot... - that is using the old rendering way. If that still causes the view switch bug, we'll know for sure PDK isn't the issue here. 

Are you both on our TFDi Design discord server? I'll start a private discussion channel so we can discuss things further there. (and for anyone else who would like to help out)

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
On 7/18/2019 at 10:31 AM, RogueShadow said:

using PDK is the reason we were able to double your frame rates by switching a rendering technology.

Except that I have half the frames in P3D compared to FSX version of the 717 :) But that is for another topic.

Thanks for your initiative Henry!

Can't assist you with the sharing screen/teamspeak debugging (I don't speak English good enough), but if you want any other help - just ask. Would also like a Discord invite please, to be in touch and stay informed.

Edited by dimkzr

I can also help. I really would like to see this fixed. I just puts the aircraft in the shadows. Hopefully fs2crew support in the future and we have a perfect aircraft.

I've been able to do my first flight ever without a CTD with this bird today. Hope it will continue this way :)

these guys wont fix or except responsibility i havent flown this for months tried now not even to second and a ctd!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
bottom line=!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! last TFDI ill ever buy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11 hours ago, barbarotto said:

these guys wont fix or except responsibility i havent flown this for months tried now not even to second and a ctd!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
bottom line=!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! last TFDI ill ever buy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is ironic, considering the post above yours is a developer actively trying to get a team together to take another shot at fixing it. Secondly, please review our forum rules here: 

"Posts consisting primarily of insulting, derogatory, profane, or inflammatory content without a purpose will be removed."