CTD via changing views.

19 hours ago, CaptKornDog said:

Well said.  I wish there could be some parallel work on a fix on this side of the house (not a workaround to mask a symptom) while waiting for LM to generate theirs.  Will continue to standby with the 717 in the hangar.

Thanks but that's just good business. Unfortunately we wait pending what will hopefully be a positive result from Lockheed Martin at some unknown future date.

There's obviously something in this plane design that's different from all others and triggers this apparent bug.

The "fix" they refer to in the knowledge-base is not viable. A second window, regardless of it's size has a severe negative impact on frame-rate which has been reported throughout this thread.

So now like you and all the other customers being impacted, the plane continues to sit in the hanger.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It is my absolute pleasure to announce that this little critter bug has finally been squashed! (read: we fixed it!) After working closely with LM (thanks everyone!), we were able to pinpoint exac

Lockheed has identified the source of the issue. It appears it will be relatively straight forward to fix. We are going to be testing a solution very soon - there seems to be light at the end of this

We're working on it - we've FINALLY managed to isolate it to a specific portion of the product. We're now digging into why and how to resolve it.

8 hours ago, Oswald1953 said:

A second window, regardless of it's size has a severe negative impact on frame-rate which has been reported throughout this thread.

Same.  It's not really usable for me once I open a second VC window.

Lockheed has identified the source of the issue. It appears it will be relatively straight forward to fix. We are going to be testing a solution very soon - there seems to be light at the end of this tunnel.

• Like 5
21 hours ago, Fabio Almeida said:

@CaptKornDog Does the solution listed on our knowledge base not work for you?

I think he meant that while the solution you guys offered works, it may not be viable for some people here since opening a second view window while flying causes a significant FPS drop. It might work for those who have high-end machines since the FPS drop wouldn´t be that big and they´ll be able to keep flying at a least decent fps count.

20 hours ago, turbofandude said:

Lockheed has identified the source of the issue. It appears it will be relatively straight forward to fix. We are going to be testing a solution very soon - there seems to be light at the end of this tunnel.

That sounds amazing. I wonder if they´ll add the fix on their next P3D hotfix or will do a specific update just for this issue. Fingers crossed!

• 3 weeks later...

We have a fix. Lockheed Martin was able to confirm with us what it was (a texture format issue compounded by a bug in Prepar3D, it seems). We've done some internal testing over the last few weeks and it appears that it is solved. We are doing a final round of testing now, but we expect the fix to be public relatively soon.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
On 3/27/2020 at 4:05 PM, turbofandude said:

We have a fix. Lockheed Martin was able to confirm with us what it was (a texture format issue compounded by a bug in Prepar3D, it seems). We've done some internal testing over the last few weeks and it appears that it is solved. We are doing a final round of testing now, but we expect the fix to be public relatively soon.

The best 717 news to come out in quite some time.

1 minute ago, turbofandude said:

We have one (unrelated) CTD that we're trying to make sure we get wrapped up for this release, as well. That's the only thing holding it up, currently.

Sounds good. Thanks for the update.

Haven´t got free time to write here (houseworking is harder than I thought lol) but here it is, I just wanted to thank the team for not giving up on this issue, and surely these are great news, even greater due to the recent worlwide events, it´s nice to have this kind of news when the world is almost falling apart. I hope you guys are well and safe in your houses, and I can´t wait to jump in the new fixed 717.

Hearing the fix might be coming soon is one of the best things I've heard these times :) Can't deny it, I LOVE this plane but this bug was a real pain all the time. Especially when flying on VATSIM, because eventhough the "workaround" existed, it was a big performance hit on my machine - so I often ended up don't using it and guess what.. "accidently" switched views. Yes, I know, my own stupidity, fair enough ;) But still..

Anyways, I hope it gives you guys some relief and satisfaction as well, finally be able to fixing this together with LM. Thank you in advance. ❤️

You can be sure I will fly the hell out of it when it releases 😂

Edited by roesti

It is my absolute pleasure to announce that this little critter bug has finally been squashed! (read: we fixed it!)

After working closely with LM (thanks everyone!), we were able to pinpoint exactly what was causing this view switch CTD and resolve it. Our amazing test team that I had gathered last year (wow... time sure flies!) worked hard to assure us that the bug is indeed resolved and confirmed they had been getting no further CTDs related to the view switch. 

I'd like to take this time to thank the entire View Switch Test Team -- you know who you are -- THANK YOU for all your efforts in helping us improve our product. Thank you for the days and nights you spent in front of the simulator and Discord, giving us info that transformed a "needle in the haystack" task into something with much more direction. Without your part, we would have absolutely no clue where to even start, as none of us on the internal team has ever gotten this bug. 

And finally, to our customers -- thank you for putting your trust in me when I started to revisit this last year. Thank you for sticking around and showing your support with those positive posts on this forum thread. We are very excited to roll this update out to you and we hope you enjoy. 

Once again, thank you to our View Switch Test Team, customers and supporters, and my colleagues. WE DID IT! 

• Like 7
  • 2 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, molleh said:

So after all the talk it was not an issue on LM's end after all? Oh well, either way I'm happy to see it fixed.

The issue was to do with how the simulator loaded uncompressed textures. Our fix changing the compression method to circumvent the problem area.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, turbofandude said:

The issue was to do with how the simulator loaded uncompressed textures. Our fix changing the compression method to circumvent the problem area.

Thanks out of curiosity - why some suffered from this and some didn't? I specifically encountered this issue on totally different OS and completely different HW builds