The Operating System is not presently configured to run this application

Go to solution Solved by blazeorange2013,

Question

hi everybody,

i just installed the 717 through orbx, to my p3d 4.5 hf3 installation, on windows 10 and i get his message everytime i load the airplane:

The Operating System is not presently configured to run this application

all the other planes work just fine.

any ideas? 

thank you

Edited by thenikos
correction

13 answers to this question

• Solution

Seems like I was able to fix it.  thenikos, you were right with it being an MS Office problem.  After talking with Fabio, the 717 uses MS Access databases.  Here are the steps I took:

1.  Uninstall the 717.  This includes deleting the "TFDi_Design_717" folder out of the P3D/SimObjects/Airplanes folder.  Restart your computer.  I suggest backing up at least your Aircraft.cfg file if you have other liveries installed.  I started with a clean install however, which meant I had to reinstall all the liveries after this process.

2.  Go into your Programs and Features control panel.  Repair your Microsoft 365/Microsoft Office installation.

3.  After that repair, uninstall the Microsoft Access database engine 2010.  Restart your computer.

4.  Download the most recent Microsoft Access database engine 2010 from here:  https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=13255   You will need to download and install whichever version (32-bit or 64-bit) that matches your MS 365/Office.  Reinstall the database engine and restart your computer. 

5.  Reinstall the TFDi 717.  Make sure the Addon Manager is running as Administrator.  Once reinstalled, restart your computer for the last time.

6.  Test to see if the 717 will load and the scenario will start in P3D.

I hope this helps anyone in the future who gets upended by the Windows Updates!  Please feel free to ask any questions!

• Like 2

I'm getting the same error after the most recent Win10 update.  I have already uninstalled and reinstalled the 717, as well as uninstalled and reinstalled my entire P3D set-up in an attempt to sort out/isolate the error.  After doing all this, I realized the main issue is only with the 717, and no other aircraft or programs in the set-up.  Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks!

Update:  Still an issue after completely reinstalling the Addon Manager and the 717.  Support ticket opened.

Edited by blazeorange2013
Additional information

hi again. i found the solution. the problem is caused by the latest office installation/update.

i use office 2016 for example. but any version can make this problem appear.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=13255

depending on your version of office, 64 or 32 bit, english or any other language, you download this file.

the 717 use a dll (or something) which is altered by the office installation.

i hope tfdi will find and fix it soon.

thank you

thenikos,

I found that issue in the research as well and attempted a repair of MS Office in hopes of fixing the issue.  Unfortunately, it did not.  I'm working with the TFDi Support team to see if there is anything that the 717 shares with MS Office that could have been broken by the recent Windows update.

I'll keep you updated if they find anything.

hi jcrodz. try to install the patch file for msoffice. it fixed the problem imidiatelly for me. i hope tfdi will have a solution soon, so everytime there is an update for win 10 / msoffice, we will not need to patch it again and again :)

12 hours ago, thenikos said:

i hope tfdi will have a solution soon

This is something beyond our control. As the fix describes, the issue lies with Microsoft and their Office suite of programs. There is nothing that we, nor other developers, are able to do to mitigate this issue.

• Like 1

As the devs have stated many times, this is a Microsoft issue, most likely caused by changes/conflicts with the Access DB Engine.  We should be thankful that we were able to get our 717s back in the air regardless.  I'm glad the solution seems to be working for everyone, though!

If MS causes this issue again, we may not have to repeat all the full procedures above; it may be as simple as reinstalling the Access DB Engine.

• Thanks 2

but this is what i mean, tfdi to find a solution by not using the access db engine. to use something else instead of it, so whatever microsoft does, 717 will not get affected.

or maybe include in their installation what the fix file change, so we will not need to do it  :)

On 9/16/2020 at 11:23 PM, thenikos said:

hi again. i found the solution. the problem is caused by the latest office installation/update.

i use office 2016 for example. but any version can make this problem appear.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=13255

depending on your version of office, 64 or 32 bit, english or any other language, you download this file.

the 717 use a dll (or something) which is altered by the office installation.

i hope tfdi will find and fix it soon.

thank you

This fixed it for me, thanks @thenikos